Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Pleasing Contour

T-minus 4 days.

Our last run-through went really well.  At first, I thought my class was just going to be in the chorus, zilling and looking appreciatively towards the student troupe. Then, it expanded to two minutes of slow choreography, which then went to two-and-a-half. I'm down with that... we've been running our song for the last few weeks, feeling kind of awesome, smiling and performing (and trying not to watch the damn mirror for cues!), and learning a few new tricks to make our performance at least 20% cooler.

Of course, the three of us in Grace's Thursday class are nerds, and what do nerds do when we're nervous and about to do something new?  We ask questions! Lots of questions, from "What should we wear?" to "how is it going to go?" to "when in the music are we supposed to head up and do the Ghawazee shimmy with the rest of the girls?" Fortunately, Grace is cool with questions (see the post I wrote about my boobs, ferchrissake) and was totally down to answer them all.

I feel good. I'm nervous, of course, but I've made sure that I've loaded the audience with at least a few friendly faces, and I'm pretty sure I remember everything I want to do.

There is one more issue I've got, though, and it has to do with photographs.  I hate being photographed, and it's not because I don't think I'm pretty/hot/etc.  It has to do with the fact that no matter what weight I am at, from a narrow little size 4 (at 14, mind you, but still) to a curvy and fabulous 16, I have this awkward double-chin. I've got a small chin structurally, and there's this little fat pad that's always been there. It bugs me enough to want plastic surgery on it, but affording that is going to take a looooong time.  Nosirree, Bob, I'm not going to be able to get a vacuum to suck out my double-chin.

So, inspired by the inimitable Princess Farhana, I experimented with contouring.  I looked in my Bag O' Makeup Fun, and found a lovely Smashbox cream eyeliner of some kind.  Probably came from a Sephora goody bag. It's dark enough that it doesn't just look dirty, and it blends nicely.  I actually tried it on this evening, and once I figured out where to put the contour, WOW. I even took a picture, and it looks like I have a CHIN!

Washing it off is going to be a nightmare, but at least I'm not worried about sticking my chin up in the air, a la high school color guard competitions, so nobody accidentally snaps me with a pelican pouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment